Athens Interpretive History Signs
Created by Designer/Historian Brian Phillips,
in co-operation with the Athens and Area Heritage Society
History of Athens
Located at the Township Hall
Athens' first sign is the story of the newly named village in 1890 and includes photos of farming, the B & W Train Station, a 1930s Main St. Scene, artist Crawf Slack, historian Edna Chant, newspaperman B. Loverin, and the Model School. A scene from Turkey Fair provides the backdrop. Founder Joshua Bates and businesses like Fisher, Lamb and Earl are included.
Model and Public School History
Located at the Lions Hall Wellington St.
This sign is placed at the Athens Museum now housed in the Lions Hall, the original site of the Public School of 1860, first high school and the Farmersville Model School. It includes classroom, graduation, and play photos as well as a brief history of those schools and interesting anecdotes.
Located on Henry Street, North of Lions Hall
Myles Jeffrey operated a boat building business in a shop beside his home from 1883 - 1963. Both buildings remain. It includes his portrait and photos of his shop and beautifully crafted wooden boats as well as an brief explanation about their construction.
Athens Medical History
Located at the Medical Centre on Wellington St.
This sign outlines the many facets of past medicine in Athens and includes photos of important figures including caregivers Mother Barnes and Aunt Sarah Wiltse, Dr. Giles, "medicine man" Arza Sherman,
Dr. Harte, druggist J. P. Lamb, the Cornell brothers and Dr. A. K. Mainse. It tells the story of medicine from the early hospital on Sarah St. and the country doctors to the modern Athens District Health Service Centre.
Athens Educational History
Located at the Athens High School on Church St.
This sign highlights Athens' history of commitment to education since its founding in 1836, and the establishment of a variety of schools resulting in a name change from Farmersville. Town fathers Bates and the Parishes had important roles. The High School's parliamentary system is highlighted as is famed alumni Louise McKinney. There is a brief mention of one room schools, as well as panoramic class photos. Original High School, Drama, WWI Cadets, and hockey photos are included as well.
History of Charleston Lake
Located at the Main Dock in Charleston Village
Over the years since 1853 Charleston has at times been the site of a post office, stores, tannery, inn, sawmill, boat liveries, restaurants, a school, the Harbour View Hotel, the Cedar Park Inn, Camp Vegas, many regattas and the incredible story of the Heroine of Charleston Lake. J. Lamb's photos captured this time of charm and enormous catches of fish in the early 1900s. It tells of many fishing guides and oarsmen whose names are titles for the Lake's features. Since 1890 The Charleston Lake Association has cared for this natural treasure.